Thursday, November 10, 2011

Peace.....

Hello,

Thanks for checking in.  I'm just coming off a wonderful run of author visits throughout Saskatchewan.  I met so many wonderful teachers and so many amazing students.  I've been to small towns and a few city schools and at every place I was warmly received.  At one of the schools there was a six year old boy who flew into the library kind of like the Fonze from Happy Days used to enter a room.  He was excited to see what was about to take place.  He took one look at me and said, "Hey, what's your name?  You're pretty.  What's your name?  Where are you from?"  He was so cute and really boosted my ego - well, only for a short time.  When I was almost at the end of my presentation he couldn't contain himself any more and he blurted out, "Blah, blah, blah!"  I had to laugh.  Sometimes those little ones have short attention spans and sometimes those little ones are brutally honest.  Regardless, the room was full of laughter and I will never forget that experience.

At Raymore School, the K-6 students performed my song, Who's That Man?, for me.  Wow!  They were amazing and I'm still trying to verbalize exactly how that felt for me - over the top.  They are performing the song again today for their Remembrance Day service at the school.  I'm honoured that my work fits in with Remembrance Day. 

Yesterday I visited Jack Mackenzie school in Regina where I was invited to read my book, Who's That Man?, at their Remembrance Day service.  Another fantastic experience.  First, the staff and students were extremely welcoming, second, their Remembrance Day service was absolutely lovely and peace based and third, I actually got to meet thee Jack Mackenzie who the school is named after. 

I want to say thank you again to every school that invited me to visit this fall and thanks in advance to every school that will invite me in the future.  Sharing my work at schools is my favourite gig.  I really feel "plugged in"  when I'm doing that.

So, tomorrow is Remembrance Day.  I'm going to take time to remember my grandpa who served for the Canadian Military in WWII.  I'm going to think about my grandma who was left alone for four years with five little boys while her husband was serving.  I'm going to think about my dad and his brothers and how it might have been for them to have their dad away for so long.  I'm going to think about the families today that are separated because of war and I'm going to pray for peace. 

I'd love to hear from you.  Take care.

Peace,

Marny